Today, outsourcing IT technical support is being touted by many experts as the best way to save money and improve productivity. Indeed, the trend is the same for many other business services such as marketing, advertising, human resources and accounting. So, what’s it all about? Is this approach really just about the bottom line, or are there other benefits? Let’s have a look at the three R’s – the reasons, risks and rewards, particularly for outsourcing IT technical support.
The Reasons to Outsource Technical Support
There are many great reasons to outsource your IT. Here are the top 5:
- Reduced operating costs – Outsourcing means you don’t have to hire an IT specialist.
- Better business focus – You can’t be a jack of all trades, concentrate on your core business.
- Access to specialist abilities – IT technical services companies hire talented specialists and operate at the cutting edge of technology.
- Reduce data loss risks – combine IT technical services with off-site data storage via the cloud for maximum data security.
- Flexibility and Scalability – No capital investment is required to scale-up your IT needs or change your requirements.
There’s no doubt that giving another company responsibility for a part of your business will always bring some risks. Consequently, that’s why it’s so important to do your due diligence and thoroughly vet any potential technical services supplier. Risks include:
- Loss of Control – consider that an outside vendor is not governed by the same conditions as an employee would. Make sure they are qualified and experienced to do the job.
- Morale issues – changing to an outsourcing model will inevitably create insecurities among staff. Manage this carefully to avoid on-going problems.
- ‘Locked-in’ to a contract – most vendors will want at least an annual contract.
The Rewards of Outsourcing Technical Support
If your still not sure which way to go, consider the following rewards:
- The Best and Latest Technology – Tech is changing so rapidly it’s hard to keep up. As a result, this is why external IT services win; they are in touch with the very latest developments and can roll those out to your business.
- Cost Savings – Cost benefits include lower operating costs, lower investment costs, leasing options for hardware and software.
- High-quality experts and flexibility – You’ll have access to the best IT specialists in the area. Plus, you’ll have the ultimate flexibility to change and scale-up your system.
So, outsourcing your IT services has a lot of positive implications. You’ll achieve cost savings, improve your productivity by remaining focused, have the freedom to change your requirements, and your data will be secure and protected.